IPSC shooting is dynamic and challenging, and one of the fastest growing shooting sports in the world today. Courses of fire utilize many aspects not found in the other more traditional shooting disciplines, such as movement by the shooter, drawing from the holster, moving targets, multiple targets, and the freedom for the shooter to solve the shooting problems presented by the stage design.
What Makes IPSC Shooting Unique?
The appeal of the sport lies in the diversity of the courses of fire available to the shooter. By offering different courses of fire, rather than set types, IPSC shooting continues to challenge the competitor to improve his skills in many different areas. There are continually new demands to challenge the IPSC shooting enthusiast.
What Type of Matches Does IPSC Promote?
IPSC shooting matches are based on the principles of accuracy, power and speed. The matches are varied and based on the safe use of the handgun. Participation in these matches will develop a high degree of safety and proficiency in the use of handguns, as well as providing a great means of recreation. Similar benefits are to be expected by participants in IPSC rifle and shotgun matches.
What Kind of People Compete in IPSC Matches?
As in any other popular sport, a wide variety of people enjoy IPSC shooting matches. Our membership spans almost every occupation, from craftsmen to executives. We are also fortunate to have many women involved in our shooting programs. It is not unusual to find husbands and wives or entire families participating in IPSC shooting activities. All of the people at our competitions are strong believers in safety and safe gun handling as well as good sportsmanship. Come on out and join in!
Is There a Place in IPSC for Beginners?
Absolutely! All of those currently competing were once at the beginner stage. By becoming active in matches hosted by an IPSC club you will have the advantage of qualified range officials and courteous range staff. You will normally find IPSC shooters are pleased to give a hand in getting you started. By using a classification system for all competitors, you can be assured that you will be facing competition of an equal skill level. A good way to get started is to ask for assistance. We’ll always help.
Is IPSC Shooting an Expensive Sport?
As in any other recreational activity there is virtually no limit to the amount you may spend on firearms and associated equipment. However, to get a solid start in IPSC pistol shooting, all that is required is a reliable handgun, a suitable holster, ammunition, eye and ear protection, and a big dose of enthusiasm. As your skill level increases, you may wish to advance to other equipment or to add additional items that will help you in competitions.
What are the Advantages of Being an IPSC Member?
IPSC offers many benefits to its membership, and the price of membership is probably less than a couple of boxes of ammunition. This includes the following:
- You will be a member of the organization that is helping to promote and develop the sport of IPSC shooting.
- You will have a direct influence on the directions that IPSC shooting will take in the future.
- You will usually receive a subscription to the national newsletter which will offer information on shooting, match schedules, and many other aspects of IPSC competitions.
- You will be eligible to join and to participate in shooting activities at the local, regional, national, and international level.
- Each member should have an official rule book which details the regulations and scoring systems used in IPSC shooting.
- You will receive support from IROA, and the National Range Officers Institute (NROI) who conduct clinics to improve shooting and to train Range Officials for competitions.
- You will be a participant in the most dynamic and challenging shooting sport in the World!
Where to from Here?
Now that you have learned a little about what IPSC is, it’s time to start shooting! Read the following section Getting Started to find out how to join and visit our website at http://www.ipscact.org.au/.